Tuesday, June 18, 2013

RLS, pregnancy and energy flow

Sun: 28'Gemini
Moon: 28'Libra
Sun Trine Moon: Waxing Gibbous

Restless Legs Syndrome is truly torturous.  I've dealt with it for as long as I can remember in one degree of another, but now in the third trimester of pregnancy, it's worse than ever before.  It's a common side-effect of late pregnancy, and it is both debilitating and absolutely maddening.

Nobody really knows what causes it.  Different people report relief from the compulsory leg-kicking/itching/twitching/jittering/pain via different forms.  For me, the slightest touch on my legs is enough to set it off: jeans, light clothing, the breeze.  My prenatal multivitamin (with the extra loading of iron, folate and B12 that are supposed to help with this) has no effect.  Heat helps for about an hour.  Cold does not help in the least.  Exercise intensifies it.  Drinking water does nothing, except make me need to get up even more frequently.  Can't take most medications that will relieve it while I'm pregnant - this includes such gentle nervine herbs as valerian.  Stretching triggers charlie horses - and the only thing worse than a charlie horse is a charlie horse while you're neurologically compelled to move that cramped muscle.  Massage eases it, but only for the duration of the massage: compression triggers a violent, anti-trap response.  Meditation is hopeless given the combination of fatigue and stress that forms a continuous feedback loop: I have found no effective way to break the cycle, other than my dog sitting on my feet....

I am at my wit's end: I cannot sleep for more than an hour at a time.  I have not seen a full block of sleep since Thursday, so if this post is disjointed or typoed, that might have something to do with it.  The computer can double-check my spelling, but as for the construction and arrangement of my thoughts... I am not thinking entirely clearly.

But it has occurred to me, during one wonderful interlude in a bath as hot as I could stand (which is supposedly not good for baby - but neither is the not-sleeping or the stress that brings on, and she can take the raised temperature for a few minutes: I'm already looking at days of sleep-dep with months more to look forward to) that nobody ever looks at the underlying energy causes with this.  Everyone is always concerned with the physical causes... but pregnancy is a lot more than that.

Pregnancy tinkers with ALL of the body's energy centers, major and minor, adjusting and re-adjusting to the growing baby's needs at every moment, even to the detriment of the mother.  (It is commonly seen that a woman who does not get enough calcium in her diet will have it leached from her own bones by the baby.)  And while it seems that everything above the knees is hypersensitive, everything from the knees down is attached to a live-wire circuit.

It was when Lulu sat down on my feet that I noticed this.  She's a good dog, a guardian dog, and she's been worried about me.  She doesn't know what's wrong exactly, but she knows something *is* wrong, and has not wanted me out of her sight much recently.  She's taken to sitting down ON my feet... when she missed and only sat down on one, I noticed the difference within minutes.  The side she was sitting on was quiet, while the other twitched uncontrollably.

Most people who follow the mystic paths are aware of the Hindu chakra system.  While there are other means of charting and healing the body's energy pathways, the chakra system has the advantages of simplicity and ease of association - to colors, planets, gemstones, herbs, you name it.  Most of the people who use this system are familiar with the basic seven chakras - which is fine.  But isn't it a bit short-sighted to focus only on the upper body, and not on any of the major energy centers that govern the legs and feet?  It's like focusing strictly on a flowers-and-light, sunshiny path that ignores the fact that the flowers need rain to survive.

The lower half of the body is, quite literally, our connection to ground.  In electrical terms, it's the hardware through which the black wire is routed.  There are four below the waist that I know about: midthigh, knee, calf/midshin, and between the feet.  It is the chakra betweent he feet that is of particular focus here.

Pregnancy's most obvious effects are on the sacral and root chakras, Svadhistana and Muladhara.  Activating those two together, so strongly, seems like it's forcing my Earth Star chakra to open too strongly as well.  Now, it *should* be regulating and rectifying my connection to Earth, similar to the function of an isolation transformer in a power supply.  But too wide-open is like widening the riverbed when it's already in full flood: it feels like my Earth Star has been overwhelmed, forcing me to take in too much Earth energy (which isn't ALL grounding and peace, but that's another, coming, post) that I can't stop, locking the gates open... and the next major chakra up the chain is the one stepping in as the regulator/transformer.  That's at the knees, and it can handle a lot of shocks.  Even so, the knee chakra is still a little overloaded, feeding more Earth than my system can quite handle into the rest of my system, resulting in an oversensitization above the knees and an absolute compulsion to use that excess Earth energy below the knee - like the electric shock victim, connected to a live wire and -can't-let-go-...

Thus why grounding doesn't work with this, and why Reiki was similarly unable to help me.  I'm already on a permanent short-to-ground, with a stronger current coming up to me than what I can generate down: the current up holds the gate open.  (The Earth is, after all, a FAR more powerful electromagnet than this little body will ever be.)  It seems to me that when Lulu - my black dog, already quite firmly grounded - sat down on my feet, she took over the job that my Earth Star was *supposed* to be doing, and provided some relief to the overloaded Knees.  (She got many thanks, much love, scritching and treats for that: such a good girl!)

The follow-on thoughts here are making me wonder if I can trace my worst flare-ups to either Earth or Celestial events - earthquakes (especially those on the ley lines connecting to my location), coronal mass ejections... or even the changing tug of the Moon's gravity on Earth.

Now, this is just a crazy theory.  But if it has any merit, I would like to hear some thoughts on it.  (If it doesn't, please feel free to tell me so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Please keep it civil.